In the last twelve months investment has been made by Lasseters in energy conservation initiatives such as expanding the existing building management system, introducing energy saving units into 66 Premium rooms and the decommissioning of several refrigerated coldrooms. The total energy projects for the last financial year resulted in reducing CO2 emissions by 525 tonnes, which is equivalent to powering 42 homes or removing 131 cars from the streets. Other initiatives included the introduction of new water and irrigation measures delivering water savings of 31,000kl per annum and participating in the cash for containers scheme which saw 191,767 cans and bottles recycled in a six month period. In addition, due diligence is currently being finalised on installing new voltage optimization technology that will provide a minimum reduction of 10% on total power consumption across the property.
Lasseters and the Alice Springs Convention Centre acknowledge the global issue of climate change and the company's social responsibility to produce and deliver services with a minimal impact on the environment.
Our obligation and responsibility to the environment and the Alice Springs community is to adopt an ongoing sustainable approach in the day-to-day running of our business, by identifying situations where methods, procedures or products are detrimental to the environment and mitigate these situations.
We acknowledge the surrounding environment of Australia's Red Centre holds significant cultural and historical value to the local community, also being announced as the first National Landscapes by the federal government. Lasseters and the Alice Springs Convention Centre are committed to continually assessing the company's sustainable position and adopting new ways to decrease the company's impact on the environment.
Lasseters and the Alice Springs Convention Centre will, in turn, benefit from this policy in a number of ways including:
- Significant financial savings
- Improved benchmarked performance indicators
- Reduced amount of renewable resources going to landfill
- Reduced amount of waste disposal collections and therefore, costs
- Assistance in combating climate change by reducing our carbon footprint
- Enhanced resource efficiency
- Increase in staff morale and support of team building with the outcome of improved retention
- Enhanced company image and reputation which has the potential to increase business
- A Green Team has been created by members of staff who have the responsibility and skills to ensure ongoing environmental performance, identification of environmental risks, recording and monitoring of impacts and implementing environmental and social sustainability measures.
NOTE: This policy is a public document to be on display, a copy may be given to anyone. The organisation invites staff, landowners, guests and the community to suggest ways to further achieve best practice environmental and social sustainability.